When asked in an interview with Saturday Punch if
people would ever see him and his half brother
Femi Kuti collaborate, Seun Kutu replied;

Collaborations like that are money spinners.
If we would collaborate, it is not because we
want to do something great for music
because we are already making great music
individually. But if we do it, it would mainly
be for financial reason. We agreed that as
soon as we feel our career is slowing down
and money is not coming as it should, we
would jump into the studio and do a money spinner.

Asked why he hardly get engagements in
Nigeria, Seun said
I don’t know. I come back here to rest
because I don’t get jobs here. I don’t
understand it as well. At times, I am
saddened by it because it is just a shame. It
is not even about me but the band which has
the pedigree of being a big band. But just
for political reasons, we are being excluded. I
believe afro beat should be in high demand in
Nigeria, Fela did a lot for Nigerians. I watch
the shows here and it is not as if they are
better than what I do.

Asked if he was serious about never getting
married, Seun said;

I don’t believe in marriage. If I had wanted
to be married, I would have been working
towards it. People can decide what they want
to do with their lives. I just don’t believe in
that institution especially as it is set up today
I don’t like the idea of ‘ownership.’

Nobody
has the right to own anybody. This is a
capitalist idea so that people can make
profit off love. You don’t make profit off love.

What if the mother of his child decides to
get married to someone else?

She is free. If she wants to be married,
then that is her choice. What will I do about
it? Will I put a gun to her head and insist
that she should not get married? But I know
she will not do that because we have a strong
bond and we understand each other and our
partnership is great. We are raising a
beautiful daughter and it would be a big
surprise if she says she wants to get
married to someone else.

Post a Comment

 
Top